Visitation Rights Virginia Beach | W. Ware Morrison Law Group


Google_Plus-icon W. Ware Morrison Law Group phone

2628 Barrett Street | Virginia Beach | Virginia 23452

Visiatoin Rights

"Mr. Morrison has personally handled three legal matters

for me in Virginia in the past

15 years."

- gnocchi7211

Contact W. Ware Morrison Law Group today for a FREE consultation with us:



payment options

When a marital relationship ends, a primary concern for parents is how a divorce will affect their relationship with their children. In many arrangements, children live primarily with one parent, making it necessary to arrange visitation with the noncustodial parent. Creating a workable schedule can be difficult, particularly in military families, but it is essential for your child’s well-being to have contact with both parents. The W. Ware Morrison Law Group knows how important your child is to you. We’re dedicated to helping families create custody schedules that work for everyone involved.

What are the types of visitation for parents and grandparents?

Custody and visitation are determined by what is in the best interests of the child. There are several types of visitation:

Virginia courts are required to maintain frequent and continuing contact between parent and child when it is appropriate. Mediation can be used to create a visitation plan that both parents can agree upon. Whether you are creating a freestanding plan or one that is part of your divorce decree, our attorneys are dedicated to creating schedules for fathers and mothers that take into account deployments, relocations or busy schedules.

What guidelines must the courts follow in setting visitation?

Virginia courts must consider the following when creating a visitation plan:

The court takes these factors very seriously. It is important that you have a conversation with your attorney about the schedule you would like, to see how it fits into these guidelines. The W. Ware Morrison Law Group regularly handles visitation cases and is ready to help you with yours.

Get help with your visitation case from Virginia Beach attorneys today


Your case matters to us. Call the W. Ware Morrison Law Group in Virginia Beach to make sure you get the time you are entitled to with your child. Whether you are in Norfolk, Chesapeake, Tidewater or Hampton Roads, our firm has attorneys ready to take your visitation case. Get in touch with us by calling 757.401.4378 or using the online contact form to arrange a free consultation.



Attorneys who help residents of Norfolk and Chesapeake assert their parental rights to see their children

  • Permanent — Part of a custody order, permanent visitation specifies exactly when the noncustodial parent has time with the child. It usually includes weekends, some weekdays and a plan for sharing holidays and school vacations. Some families have a near 50/50 share of time.

  • Temporary — This is a temporary order while your case is pending so that there is continuous contact between parent and child.

  • Supervised — Supervised visitation is ordered when there are concerns about a parent’s ability to properly care for a child alone. Substance abuse or abuse/neglect may be factors. A supervisor is chosen and must be present.

  • Third-party or grandparentVirginia allows third parties (like grandparents) to seek visitation with a child if there is clear and convincing evidence that it would be in the best interests of the child.

Link button
  • The age and developmental needs of the child

  • The primacy of the parent-child relationship

  • The ability of each parent to provide a healthy, non-abusive environment

  • The ability of the parents to support frequent and ongoing contact with                                      the child and each other

  • The willingness and ability of each parent to follow court orders

  • The impact on the child’s and parents’ schedules

  • The impact of holidays and vacations

  • The impact on the dignity of the family and whether the schedule is                                   concrete enough to discourage disagreement

What do I do if my ex does not allow me to visit my children?

If you’re being denied your right to visit your child, you should speak with your attorney, who can advise you on your options, which include:

  • Filing for enforcement of an order — If you have an order giving you visitation and your ex is not honoring it, you can have the court enforce the order.

  • Filing for modification of an order — When a parent willfully blocks another parent from contact with the child, this can be grounds for a change in the existing order.

  • Filing for custody or visitation — If there is no order of custody or visitation in place, you need to get one that gives you specific rights to your child.

Your parental rights are important, for you and your children.  Contact our law firm to help you enforce your rights or modify your order so that you can have a long and meaningful relationship with your child.

Over 40 years of experience on your side